The South Dakota Pork Producers Council is a unified and engaged advocate that promotes, with integrity, the image and growth of the South Dakota pork industry through education, research, marketing and responsibility.
South Dakota Pork Producers Council is a respected leader advocating for sustainable, responsible growth of the South Dakota Pork Industry that benefits our producers, consumers, and communities.
The South Dakota Pork Producers Council (SDPPC) oversees the state’s investment in areas of research, promotion and education with is funded by the mandatory Pork Checkoff.
The South Dakota Pork Producers Council (SDPPC) also serves the state’s pork industry through its focus on public policy and issues management. This is funded through membership fees and pork producers’ voluntary contributions.
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Term: Minimum of 12 weeks
Wages: $450/week, no benefits
Eligibility: Students who are 19 years of age or older. Candidates must have access to a vehicle. Business mileage will be reimbursed.
Preferred Majors: Agricultural Education, Animal Science, Marketing, Economics, Journalism, Public Relations or Mass Communications
Tasks and Opportunities:
Selected intern will be assigned projects overseen by SDPPC staff. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Work with individual staff members to complete on-going or new projects
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, producer committee meetings and industry working group meetings
- Plan and facilitate local and state level events that primarily target non-farming audiences
- Manage logistical details, transportation and set up of displays
- Assist at the South Dakota State Fair
- Attendance at World Pork Expo
- Other duties as assigned
Projects may include: developing and maintaining producer database, state and county fairs, newsletter articles and various promotional activities.
Some overnight travel required. Extensive driving required.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills (including proper telephone, email and social media etiquette)
- Ability to prioritize and work resourcefully
- Organization and attention to details
- Ability to plan a project and follow through
- Ability to work on several projects at one time
- Outgoing personality, ease meeting new people
- Able to work with people having diverse or differing viewpoints
- Able to work flexible schedule
- In-depth knowledge of pork industry and livestock production practices preferred, but not required.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, including Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Applicant must have valid driver’s license and no major moving vehicle violations in the previous three (3) years.
- Applicant must be physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Applicant must be able to drive a vehicle while towing a trailer
- Submit a cover letter, resume, a copy of transcript, two (2) letters of recommendation, and one (1) writing sample.
- Mail application materials to: South Dakota Pork Producers Council, 4605 West Homefield Drive Sioux Falls, SD 57106.
- Email application materials to: email@example.com.
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017